2017-18 NISHRM Scholarship Recipient
School: Illinois State University
Major: Human Resource Management and Organizational Leadership (Double Major)
Degree working towards: Bachelor of Science
Expected graduation date: 5/5/2018
ISU Student SHRM Chapter: President (April 2017) Treasurer (April 2016-2017)
- Charlie Norman Dean Scholarship (September 2017)
- Robert G. Bone Scholar (May 2017)- Highest honor an Illinois State University undergraduate student can receive, and this honor contributes markedly to student success.
- Mike Schermer Outstanding Student Leader Award (April 2017)
- Connie Krug Student Service Award (April 2017)
- Charles W. Bolen Senior Professionals Honors Student Award (April 2017)
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges (April 2017)
- Forklift Systems ‘Giving Students A Lift Scholarship (February 2017)
- Paula Harvey Scholarship (December 2016)
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Scholarship (August 2016)
- Human Resource Excellence Award (July 2016)
- Recognized by Willow Creek Association and Global Leadership Summit (January 2016)
- Class of 1986 Scholarship Recipient (December 2015)
- Vern McGinnis Endowed Leadership Award (December 2015)
- Executive Intern at Target (June 2017- August 2017)
- Community Investment and Employee Engagement Intern at Zurich North America (May 2016- August 2016)
Why did you select HR as your career choice?
I started working in an HR department in high school assisting on small projects. After working on the smaller projects, and learning more about HR, I began to find the duties and responsibilities of HR very interesting. I asked the HR Director of the organization if I could work on more complicated projects. She happily agreed, and I was able to work in teams and independently on projects, and became very passionate about HR.
What area of HR interests me the most:
My favorite area is human resource (HR) analytics, which I believe is the future of HR. Along with analytics, being able to use the data and insights to create strategic plans. The data from different facets of an organization help relate and drive the story of its culture. These analytics also provide the organization with insights that enable it to manage employees effectively, so the business can achieve its goals. I believe that I have a strong analytical mindset and can sort through the data and find the best information. During my internship at Zurich, I had opportunities to gather data for different employee engagement initiatives to find the drivers for employee morale. From the data, I created insights to tell the story of the organizational culture. After attending several HR analytics seminars, I believe that this area of HR will be my future career path.
Accomplishments I am most proud of:
The accomplishment I am most proud of during my time at ISU is Christian Business Leaders winning back-to-back Registered Student Organization of the Year Award. I created the student organization Christian Business Leaders my freshman year of college. Within 3 years, our organization grew from 5 people, to nearly 50 members. I was able to meet and learn from many great people. I was able to learn so much about leadership throughout these experiences. I was also able to work in high performing teams, and learned how to best collaborate with others. By winning Student Organization of the Year, it showcased and awarded the hard work throughout the years of our leadership team.